Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Book Ninjas and Mighty Kids

Currently I'm working on a presentation for a Library Paraprofessional Conference at East Carolina next week.  I'm going to be presenting about book clubs.  I have so much to say about book clubs because ours were so successful this past year.  I only piloted 5 months because I wanted to gauge the interest and see if it was even viable.

Although our book clubs were not gender exclusive (we did not market strictly to "just boys" or "just girls"), we did choose books for each group based upon interest.  The Book Ninjas read books that were high-interest adventure books.


The Mighty Kids books had strong, female characters and themes about social issues.  No damsels in distress in this group!  We would discuss the book, sometimes play jeopardy on the smart board, have a special snack (usually one that appeared in the book) and maybe do a craft.


Putting together the book clubs was a lot of work, but SO WORTH IT!  I could not have been as successful without the help of my trusty sidekick, Penny, and the support of PTO, staff and administration.


The book clubs were so popular that I have already created lists for next year.  I hope to take it even one step further and go virtual!  I hope to have other classes or libraries join us through blogging, edomodo or Skype!

If you are interested in joining Book Ninjas, Mighty Kids, or both, please sign up below to get the book lists.  There is no cost or obligation, but I hope you join us!  I will be sharing activity ideas, links, etc. for each book in the near future.




No comments:

Post a Comment